Facebook  Twitter  Google+  YouTube  Twitch.tv 

Introductions Hi! I was MaFia.RebOrn, Life[cK] back in the 2v2 VGT/SCD days by TheYosh May 21, 2017, 02:17:36 AM
Introductions Hi i was BattleCheese- MafiaCheese or Cheese]Strife[ by Puppy May 20, 2017, 09:52:08 PM
General Discussion UMS MAPS by Puppy May 20, 2017, 08:21:01 PM
Introductions Hi by Newbport May 16, 2017, 07:47:27 PM
General Discussion Get my SC working again. - REWARD~~~$$$$ by dirl May 09, 2017, 04:03:39 PM
Introductions sup by DE-Gibson May 09, 2017, 01:14:58 PM
General Discussion Donate to Buu by SoLo.RAiN May 08, 2017, 04:06:55 PM
Introductions MyeS Saying Hi! by SoLo.RAiN May 08, 2017, 04:04:42 PM

S.23 | March 3 - May 2

1v1 | Channel: Op UGL        USWEST
  2v2 | Channel: Op UGL        USWEST

RankPlayer                       Record
1 DefJam65-15
2 SilenT.koN81-29
3 Fire.buu108-96
4 LasT_PostMan58-11
5 FakeGosu55-24
Follow us on Facebook!

Downloads
Standard Map
Anti-Hack Map
UGL Anti-Hack

Quick Links
Join League
Report Game
League Rules
File Complaint
Members
Total Members: 2463
Latest: Keebler
New This Month: 11
New This Week: 1
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 14381
Total Topics: 2298
Most Online Today: 134
Most Online Ever: 2978
(November 21, 2014, 10:09:11 PM)
Users Online
Members: 2
Guests: 103
Total: 105

*Users online within the last 60 minutes.

Sticky Topic

Author Topic: New ideas at UGL  (Read 6057 times)

Offline uNi-DreaM

• ᴬᴰᴹᴵᴺ
  • Battle Cruiser
  • Feel free to feel.... free.
    • View Profile
New ideas at UGL
« on: August 14, 2013, 07:30:18 AM »
The team and I have been discussing matters over the previous while. We often find ourselves thinking of new ideas to bring more website functionality to the league. What better way could we provide these types of updates than to ask for public opinion? Let's hear your suggestions. What would you like to see (or not see!) come to UGL? We have always focused on the community's needs and desires when making decisions about what would make UGL a better place for everyone. After all, it is the community's participation that defines how successful UGL is and will be. I wanted to provide the entire community with an opportunity to make suggestions here about new ideas that you want to see in the overall league itself. There are many great updates we have in mind and are currently implementing, but to make a point to be at our best in all areas of league play we are reaching out to the community and asking you guys (that want more innovative updates) for your thoughts and suggestions in the matter. What do you enjoy most about visiting the website and mingling with the community at UGL every day? League play without a doubt, and with that said, the staff continues to dedicate a great deal of time improving and innovating the aforementioned, but I can't help but wonder what else could make UGL even more entertaining? With the introduction of S and K ranks we have all witnessed a great increase in the competitive atmosphere, making these top spots in the rankings harder to obtain and hold on to... We've also introduced the clan ranking system, and we are currently working towards a short term goal of introducing cash prizes. Therefor, there have been many updates we've made recently, so many that I can't count them all. It can be assured that UGL will be around for years to come. Although, I still can't help but wonder what would make UGL even better in the eyes of it's users? What do you think the staff should do to bring even more enjoyment to the lives of the community and to your own personal daily user experience? We are interested to hear. In finalizing my address I think every single one of us has something different and unique to offer. I thank the community for sharing their thoughts and a big appreciation goes out to our supporters and to the designers of UGL for their continued efforts.

Offline uNi-DreaM

• ᴬᴰᴹᴵᴺ
  • Battle Cruiser
    • View Profile
Re: New ideas at UGL
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 10:15:24 AM »
I have enabled users to customize the color of their forum names via Modifying their Forum Profile as requested. I will continuously update this thread as ideas are implemented.

Offline xS.Samba

• Drone
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 05:02:21 PM »
You should approach xS.Ryoji.  He has a lot of great ideas for a league that aren't currently being utilized.

Trollin

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 05:22:10 PM »
Maybe he will post here and they'll add them

Offline uNi-DreaM

• ᴬᴰᴹᴵᴺ
  • Battle Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 02:05:58 PM »
Maybe he will post here and they'll add them
Certainly, all ideas will be considered by the staff.

As users may have already witnessed, we have changed some of the graphics on the site this week. I'm hoping more suggestions will be thrown our way. We can pretty much do anything you guys want.

What do you think the community needs next?

Offline Stripper

• Fuck me I'm famous
  • Battle Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 04:18:55 PM »
Didn't you already make a thread like this? I'll have to look in that other thread and copy paste then... I posted like 5-6 ideas.

Edit:

- Make the list from top 20 to top 40 or 50, in the 1v1 and 2v2 sections. Makes it easier to find someone when it's directly on the first page.

- When you report against a player, make it so "past" players that you have played, are at the top of the list, so you don't need to scroll down and look for them.

- Make the rank pages as wide as the forum pages, so basically just make the ranks and the names a little bigger (wider?). There is so much emptyness on each sides that it seems it's desperatly missing something. (Plus, it's pretty small to be honest. I always have to lean forward to see the names).

- When You post something in the forums, it kicks you out of the thread. Make it so it doesn't.

- Give us an option to modify our name(s) for SC without having to make a whole new name. That way, you can keep your stats and only your name changes.

- Tell us how many resets we have (left) and make it specific in what we would like to reset (either 1v1s or 2v2s; SC or BW) because I think it resets your entire account, as of now.

If there's more to come, I'll add it lol.

Offline TomTe

• Drone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 08:34:43 PM »
Race Filters?
Similar to what they had on VGT wherein you could choose a primary race and an opponents race and narrow the search of what replays in particular you were looking for.

Offline LivE.SworD

• Battle Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 09:27:18 PM »
Race Filters?
Similar to what they had on VGT wherein you could choose a primary race and an opponents race and narrow the search of what replays in particular you were looking for.

Coming right up.

Offline Stripper

• Fuck me I'm famous
  • Battle Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 03:48:01 AM »
Didn't you already make a thread like this? I'll have to look in that other thread and copy paste then... I posted like 5-6 ideas.

Edit:

- Make the list from top 20 to top 40 or 50, in the 1v1 and 2v2 sections. Makes it easier to find someone when it's directly on the first page.

- When you report against a player, make it so "past" players that you have played, are at the top of the list, so you don't need to scroll down and look for them.

- Make the rank pages as wide as the forum pages, so basically just make the ranks and the names a little bigger (wider?). There is so much emptyness on each sides that it seems it's desperatly missing something. (Plus, it's pretty small to be honest. I always have to lean forward to see the names).

- When You post something in the forums, it kicks you out of the thread. Make it so it doesn't.

- Give us an option to modify our name(s) for SC without having to make a whole new name. That way, you can keep your stats and only your name changes.

- Tell us how many resets we have (left) and make it specific in what we would like to reset (either 1v1s or 2v2s; SC or BW) because I think it resets your entire account, as of now.

If there's more to come, I'll add it lol.

I'll add another one.. although aesthetic and "pointless", it's fun to have it:

-Enable people to use a countries flag which will be shown right before their names (Between their ranks and name).

PS: nice job making the ranks bigger :P! Just gotta make it top 40 instead of only top 20 and you're all set!

Offline Uni-Gh°sT

• 5D995DG99ETV33K
  • Battle Cruiser
  • IT'S OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 07:41:42 PM »
1 - Make the list from top 20 to top 40 or 50, in the 1v1 and 2v2 sections. Makes it easier to find someone when it's directly on the first page.

2 - Make the rank pages as wide as the forum pages, so basically just make the ranks and the names a little bigger (wider?). There is so much emptyness on each sides that it seems it's desperatly missing something. (Plus, it's pretty small to be honest. I always have to lean forward to see the names).

1 & 2 - Made the Standings wider and set to display 50 users per page. Let me know what you think.

Offline Stripper

• Fuck me I'm famous
  • Battle Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 08:05:59 PM »
it's beautiful :')

Offline Pro]BriaN-

• Drone
  • L]o[sT~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 12:55:41 AM »
Thank you to all UGL staff members for all your hard work and dedication in creating and now improving this FMP league/site. I don't think you guys are receiving the recognition and applause that you all deserve... Thanks again!

Offline Stripper

• Fuck me I'm famous
  • Battle Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 01:15:15 AM »
If I didn't have to work for my Eurotrip due for next summer... I'd have donated some money to you dudes.

Offline LoveVodka

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 03:21:31 AM »
should make a 2v2 desert strike league its just as competitive as melee.

Offline Aan

• Ling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 10:53:20 PM »
If I didn't have to work for my Eurotrip due for next summer... I'd have donated some money to you dudes.
Or spend so much on food. Fatty.

Offline Stripper

• Fuck me I'm famous
  • Battle Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 12:40:41 AM »
Or spend so much on food. Fatty.

My daddy pays for my food. Twig.

Offline ChosenBrad1322

• Ling
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 03:12:41 AM »
-I think someone mentioned it but let you choose recent opponents / recent partners.  It's so annoying reporting a couple 2v2s when you have to scroll and find all 3 people every time.  On that note, make the scrolling window bigger.  Let us see 10 names at once instead of like 3 or 4 how it is now <3

-List the top 3 of 1v1 / 2v2 or something in a ledger at the top of the page always.  Gives people incentive to game and get their name constantly showed on the site.  Like up where it says "Ready when you are".

-Showing the recent threads etc always up top was an amazing addition so kudos for that.

-Add a streak column to the standings.  So it would show like "63-21, W6" that means they have won 6 in a row.  It makes the standings way more interesting to look at which is why all the major sports include it usually like Baseball etc. cuz you can see who's hot, who's rising / falling.

-Add race percentages in the standings page.  Like P 41%, T 30%, Z 29% or something that shows who is playing what races the most and how their distribution is going.  That would be very telling in 2v2 as well.

Thats just a couple I can think of off the top of my head ^^

****On a side note*****

I'm gonna be trying to set up a tournament to get the best of the best to play vs each other, like a 16 player tournament.  I've already been contacting people like HasH, HydrA[VcK] etc via Skype to get the ball rolling.  I will be trying to gather up a prize pool and see what I can do.

Offline Pro]BriaN-

• Drone
  • L]o[sT~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 08:13:03 AM »
-I think someone mentioned it but let you choose recent opponents / recent partners.  It's so annoying reporting a couple 2v2s when you have to scroll and find all 3 people every time.  On that note, make the scrolling window bigger.  Let us see 10 names at once instead of like 3 or 4 how it is now <3

-List the top 3 of 1v1 / 2v2 or something in a ledger at the top of the page always.  Gives people incentive to game and get their name constantly showed on the site.  Like up where it says "Ready when you are".

-Showing the recent threads etc always up top was an amazing addition so kudos for that.

-Add a streak column to the standings.  So it would show like "63-21, W6" that means they have won 6 in a row.  It makes the standings way more interesting to look at which is why all the major sports include it usually like Baseball etc. cuz you can see who's hot, who's rising / falling.

-Add race percentages in the standings page.  Like P 41%, T 30%, Z 29% or something that shows who is playing what races the most and how their distribution is going.  That would be very telling in 2v2 as well.

Thats just a couple I can think of off the top of my head ^^

****On a side note*****

I'm gonna be trying to set up a tournament to get the best of the best to play vs each other, like a 16 player tournament.  I've already been contacting people like HasH, HydrA[VcK] etc via Skype to get the ball rolling.  I will be trying to gather up a prize pool and see what I can do.

Everything what this man just recommended..!

Offline xS.Jake

• Dragoon
  • xS. elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 11:26:15 AM »
Brad thats dope, i want in on that tournament.  And i like all of his suggestions, as well as i noticed u put comments on the games, well the games that get commented on are hard to notice so u should put an indicator that someone has said something about that game.

Offline LivE.SworD

• Battle Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 12:30:23 PM »
Good ideas, we'l work on those, but just two things people may not have fully noticed:

you can see latest comments in "recent comments" in the league menu. Would it be helpful if it were displayed on every page automatically? Perhaps parallel to latest threads?

Also, when reporting, you can just begin tying their name, and it will go there automatically. It was always intended to be more of a text-box than a list, but the list is just there to guide you from making an error.

Offline xS.Ryoji

• Drone
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 03:36:14 PM »
Adding small features to the league and other parts of the site is nice, but I don't think it's as essential as coming up with other content that's going to create activity on the site. I think the goal should be to have a lot of active participants in what gets put onto the site. The thing that everyone has in common on this site is that they (at least on some level) have an interest in the fastest community. What content gets put on the site shouldn't be a 1 way street. In my opinion it would be ideal if everyone, not just staff, was part of the creation of content. The staff should basically be trying to create the best platform to encourage users to post the stuff that interests them, or come up with new ideas that nobody had thought of. The league is the thing that keeps everybody paying attention to the site, but what kinds of discussion topics, what kinds of videos, or what types of other fastest-related material can we come up with that people are going to want to view and participate in the creation of? Again, staff should be encouraging member's to come up with threads or topics and post them. I would almost view the site like Facebook. The thing that made/makes Facebook so popular is you're constantly getting content that is relevant to you. It's people you know creating content on a constant basis, and you have the power to interact with what they post as well as creating your own material. Here on this site we all have an interest in fastest, and we should be trying to constantly come up with creative content that's relevant to the users here.

I posted this thread (http://www.unigl.net/index.php?topic=373.0) about a month ago trying to get a decent discussion going. It went alright, but I think people in this community are a little too used to having content thrown at them and simply absorbing it rather than critically thinking about discussion topics. Part of the reason for this is when people don't care about a topic they probably aren't even going to read the original post thoroughly, let alone give a thought out response. As far as the forums are concerned, I think the best way to promote activity and participation there is to have topics that are about fastest (the common thread amongst everyone on this site), and they need to be a little bit deeper in terms of discussion. Members are definitely going to take a bigger interest in those topics, and over time people will probably become more accustomed to taking part in those threads. It doesn't have to simply be debates/discussions either, even "articles" on different things that are going on in the league. As horrible as ESPN is, they at least pump out over-sensationalized stories left and right and are able to get a ton of traffic. I don't think we're creating any stories here, whatsoever. Again, the ideal would be to have the participation of the members in creating stories and other content, but you have to start somewhere. Even something as simple as updates on who's played really well in the last week, who they've beaten, and why they've been successful. Then members can discuss whether this person is just on a fluke run or is actually making strides, or whether the original poster is completely off base with their analysis. And it doesn't even have to be on "current events." Not only can we refer to past players or periods in the fastest community for topics (what my thread was attempting to do), but we can get into analysis of gameplay and strategy. It's amazing to me that hardly any high-level strategy topics ever get brought up. Much of this is largely due to the overall attitude of players who claim they know everything already, but if those topics were made in spite of that I think people may start to realize that there's a lot they don't know and would enjoy those.

I have a decent handful of other ideas that aren't just about the forums, but it would be a lot of explanation over one post. I think a few of them would be helpful, but either way it's in the best interest of the community for any and every idea to at least get heard. I'm on Battle.net all the time so if someone from staff wants to go over some of these ideas I'd definitely be interested in doing that. 

Offline LivE.SworD

• Battle Cruiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 03:07:21 AM »
Sorry for replying late. Your post has a lot of good ideas and points.. it does seem to be the case that these little features don't add much to site activity, but they can still occasionally enrich the user experience.

One thing that (I hope) will increase activity is money prizes for winners, which will be introduced starting next season. Other than that, yes these kinds of threads and discussions are exactly what we need. People should feel at home here, and free to post whatever idea/suggestion/criticism they have.

As for announcements with regards to league stuff like who's winning and who's doing well, it'd be hard to do it in a way that would be interesting.. most people can find out that info on their own through the standings. If something like that were to become popular though, I definitely agree that it would be cool and make the league more active.

Offline xS.Ryoji

• Drone
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 01:24:05 PM »
Sorry for replying late. Your post has a lot of good ideas and points.. it does seem to be the case that these little features don't add much to site activity, but they can still occasionally enrich the user experience.

One thing that (I hope) will increase activity is money prizes for winners, which will be introduced starting next season. Other than that, yes these kinds of threads and discussions are exactly what we need. People should feel at home here, and free to post whatever idea/suggestion/criticism they have.

As for announcements with regards to league stuff like who's winning and who's doing well, it'd be hard to do it in a way that would be interesting.. most people can find out that info on their own through the standings. If something like that were to become popular though, I definitely agree that it would be cool and make the league more active.

The users definitely appreciate the updates and they should continue to happen, but yes, people don't come to the site just for those features. I think prize money will definitely increase activity in the league, it's just about whether or not that's what you're satisfied with. I think the forums should be organized in a way that it really highlights the Starcraft/Fastest community side of things. Sections about other games, casual discussions, or random things not related to Starcraft should be toward the bottom. If you have a thread about a movie for example, only a certain percentage of the users are going to be interested in viewing that topic. If you have a thread breaking down PvT and how that matchup has changed over the last 3 years then that's going to be relevant to way more of your users.

Making announcements for who's winning the league or playing well within the last week shouldn't be viewed as an announcement, but a story. You should find people who like to write and are able to sensationalize things just a little bit. There are people in this community that have very different characteristics and personalities. Unfortunately, we've only ever gotten announcements, and not stories. At the end of every season (which isn't often enough, should be much more regular than this) we get an update on who won, what their record was, and how many points they had. That tells us nothing about what actually happened that season. Who was their biggest competition, and was their any personal beef between them? What was their best matchup and why were they successful with it? How likely is it that they'll repeat next season, and why will they or won't they? There are a lot of storylines that get ignored because the amount of creativity within this community has been pretty lacking basically since the beginning.

Again, this is just 1 potential upgrade that could be made to make the site a place that people actually care about visiting. I know I have a few ideas and I'm sure there are others that have some good ideas. 

Offline WarreN

• gG
  • Battle Cruiser
  • Fuck you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 03:59:16 PM »
For the incoming season, I would like the suggest the following feature:
A section for each player in their profiles where they have personal recs like there was in vgt, this shows the record between Player A vs. Player B done in the season.

Offline TomTe

• Drone
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 04:15:54 AM »
are there any additional templates for the website for a fresh look?